Friday, August 1, 2008

a toast is in order

To more fully understand the type of relationship my brother Darren and I have I wish to share a few of his own words, as written while I was away on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is a blog post of his titled "Devon."



Saturday, February 26, 2005


Devon makes me smile.

He is four years younger than me but we once convinced our stylists at a barbershop that we were twins. Same last name similar first names, same height, similar eyes, they bought it.

I love him like nothing else in this world. He…shares with me in the joy of riding bikes and simply being outside. Even if it was doing chores, if we were doing it together it was fun.

We didn't need words, Devon and I, a look and we could tell by each others eyes what we were about to do, how we would do it, and who we would do it to. The random clever remark and frequent Douglas Adams quotes were bonuses.

We are very different people, he and I. I call him my evil twin…because where I am outgoing and an aspiring leader he is fairly reserved, where I am always distracted by something new to do or learn, he patiently masters complex skills. But this is what makes him perfect, he balances me out and makes me smile.

This week is the half way point Devon has been gone one year, one more year until he comes home.

One more year until I am whole again.


I love my brother Darren! A lot has happened since Darren wrote this, he has grown, I have grown, and we have both change, as well as many other parts of our lives. Change is a certainty of life.


I have been a catalyst, a temporary fill in until he found that perfect someone, that girl that might 'balance him out and make him smile.' He has finally found that someone. Ryann is that someone. And they sure do a good job at balancing each other out; Darren is tall, Ryann is short. Darren manages with little sleep and copes with early morning activities, Ryann could easily sleep through lunch if she got the chance. Ryann is meticulous and selective, Darren can often care less. But there is much more than that to their relationship. I have spent much time with the two of them as they would do things together, and often told of other times when I wasn't there. Darren and Ryann have fun together, they create together and have from the beginning cared for each other. What ever they do, when they do it together they fluently submerse themselves in a sea of buoyancy and cheer.


Ryann completes Darren in a perfect way; in a way that I never could. I joyously welcome her as my newest sister-in-law. I willingly, and lovingly, relinquish my standing in Darren’s life to Ryann, the love of his life, his better half, my friend. I may remain his evil twin but she is his saving angel.


Ryann and Darren- Fight change. If you must change, change together. Laugh together, Love each other, and Share that love with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment