Wednesday, August 20, 2008

warning: do not read this

There is an interesting anomaly that occurs in human nature- generally, humans are inherently stupid, and curious. This is a more complex problem than I have given it credit in the past.

There is a hole in my bathroom floor at the moment. I am working at replacing the drain in the shower and finishing remodeling it. Because of my brothers wedding recently and having guests coming over I felt it a good idea to straighten up the area and clean the floor to get it looking presentable to guests and a friend who would be camping out on our couch for the weekend. As part of my tidying up I advanced the project to a good stopping point, got rid of the mound of dirt that I removed from the floor and then placed a large sheet of butcher paper over the hole to make the room look nice. Now for the human element; I had a choice to make, I could either leave the sheet blank hoping that no one would step on it and fall through, or I could write a cautionary note advising not to step on it. I decided to write the note. “No Step” and “Hazard: Do not step on brown paper.” Simple enough, however with signs and advisories comes curiosity, it seems to be a natural consequence. Signs invite curiosity. “Hey look, a sign- It says stay out, I wonder why? Let’s go find out!” Why do we do that? We are all guilty of it. If you are reading this right now you are guilty of it. ‘Why should I not read it? Is there something I shouldn’t know? What is it?’

So either way you are going to have someone end up in the hole. No advisory and someone might end up falling in on accident; put up an advisory and everyone gets courious as to why to avoid it and end up in the hole. So is it actually better to leave the paper blank? to not place a warning? You might argue that there is less of a chance of someone falling in by accident than from curiousity but experiance shows that not matter what you do you lose. I am not exactly sure how that happens but somehow, even with a clear warning, you are to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment