Sunday, August 31, 2008

black slacks

I think I may have a black pants fetish. I love black slacks. I hold that they are one of the best articles of clothing ever, definitely the best pants. A good friend of mine used to get bothered by the fact that I always wear black slacks. Almost every time she would see me I would be wearing black slacks. At that time I was working for a company that required black pants or shorts as uniform and when I saw her and her family it was usually before or after my shift at work or even during work. I am not an avid changer of clothes. If it is dirty yes I will change it but other than that, if I put it on in the morning you will find that same article being taken off in the evening when I go to bed; unless my activity changes drastically somewhere in the day requiring a different outfit. Many places I have worked require black pants as uniform. I wounder why that is?

Many people like Levi's or Denim, I don't own a single pair of Jeans. If you have to wear pants I would attest that a loose fitting pair of black slacks is the way to go. Interwoven in that first paragraph are many reasons why I love these pants so much but to further explain I have listed several key points below.

  • Versatility- Black slacks are extremely versatile and can be used for so many different activities comfortably. Some activities may be more comfortable in something else but that doesn't mean that it is not comfortable to do it in a pair of black slacks. I have worked out, rock climbed, hiked, worked on cars, landscaped, gone to church, repelled, cooked, played sports, proselytized, and so many more activities all in black slacks.

  • Cleanliness and Durability- Black slacks do not get dirty as easily as other pants, and they do not show dirt as vividly when they do get dirty. Have you ever seen a grass stain on a pair of black slacks? When they do get dusty (which is what shows most vividly on black all it takes is a pat down and a little bit of water to clean them off. I split some pipe glue on one of my pair of pants the other day and thought that I just lost another pair of perfect pants. But wait, they are perfect pants, and I have a Sharpie. Rub a little black Sharpie on the spot and everything is better in a flash. You can't even tell that I split the pipe glue on them; and after a run through the wash the Sharpie remains. This same pair of black slacks that I have had now for over six years. That is product satisfaction.

  • Protection- So why pants as opposed to shorts? I am a pants man. Much of it has to do with the other points mentioned but it boils down to protection. When hiking or camping or doing adventurous outdoors activities pants provide tremendous protection from scraps, cuts, bites, and the sun, and is wiser choice than shorts. They also do a good job at keeping your legs warm when it is cool out but are not uncomfortable when it is hot out. You can even get them a little wet on a hot day and will act in much the same way sweating does to keep you cool.

  • Appearance- I believe part of the reason many places require black pants as uniform is because of image and class. Black slacks are just classy.
  • 1 comment: