Thursday, July 31, 2008

not so fast...

I went camping with most of my brothers the other day and I came to a more astute understanding of my youngest brother. I imagine that he has it toughest among all of my brothers and me. I used to think he had it easy but recent insights have dispelled such notions. He is a good kid, not the fastest or most obedient but I love him. He doddles and takes forever to do tasks assigned him much of the time but I suppose that is typical of a little boy his age; I am sure that is what I was doing at his age; but with a more stern consequence.

My dad (our dad) has mellowed out over the years and despite what Justin might think he gets away with much more that what I, or any of the rest of our brothers, may have. Thus it is easy to presume that he’s got it easy. What I realized on our camping trip is that though Justin may only have one father, and though Father lets him get off easy (relatively), the rest of us certainly don’t cut him any slack or let him get away with anything. I imagine it is like having six dads. That, I imagine is worse than Father being as tough on him as he has been on the rest of us.

When we got to camp there were orders being shouted left and right and many of them at Justin who had already found a stick and was doing what little boys do best- playing with sticks, throwing rocks in the water and kicking around in the dirt. As I lay on the picnic table with a headache listening to this barrage of orders I felt a small sense of what Justin may feel every day. I have since resolved to work harder at not ordering him around. I try not to demand or order people around but, as I am my fathers son, I do sometimes revert to snappy demands.

What is worse than being raised but a tyrannical father? Being raised by 6 brothers whose lives have been molded but a tyrannical father. Good luck Justin.

1 comment:

  1. I would just like to note that I do not have a tyrannical father however sometimes some of my brothers might think he is. If you wish to know my feelings toward my father you can go to "Superheroes" archived in June 2008.

    ReplyDelete