Monday, August 18, 2008

proposition eight

I have been thinking lately about what I want to say here regarding this particular issue; there are so many sides to it and so many sub-arguments, where do I begin? I feel very passionately that marriage is between a man and a woman. I have just been unable to sort out my thoughts that would make sense to the reader. Politics are not really my thing. Fortunately, I read this blog the other day written by a friend of mine and he says it better than I ever could.

http://poachedfrog.com/blog/index.php?p=583

Take the time to READ these comments, then take time to SHARE them with others. As is said in the article, defining marriage is an issue for us all, not just those who live in CA.

I have also found several other sites regarding the Proposition 8 that may provide further understanding.

The Divine Institution of Marriage

ProtectMarriage.com

Family: A Proclamation to the World

Ballotpedia.org

NPR News Story

Interview with LDS Apostle Dallin H. Oaks

Two Reasons to Vote- PoachedFrog

1 comment:

  1. I tend to agree with Oregon Republican (and Mormon) Sen. Gordon Smith, who had this to say about "defining marriage":

    “Part of what I fear, as you start defining marriage — we have a long history of doing that in this country, and my Mormon pioneer ancestors were the victims of that. They were literally driven from the United States in the dead of winter for following their religious beliefs. I don’t want that coming back, but there are some on the front pages of your newspapers who are trying to now.”

    Q: How does Prop 8 affect straight marriage?

    A: It doesn't.

    Everything else is election year hype and folks trying to gain political advantage by picking on an unpopular minority.

    As Senator Smith noted, Mormons (of all people) ought to know better.

    ReplyDelete