Thursday, December 6, 2007

music genres

How does a hip hop/ rock station have a country song in its top 25 list? 107.9 the end is not a station that I regularly listen to, it tends to play more hip hop music than I like. Rock, Pop, Alternative- That seems to be what I favor as far as music preferences go. It is not that i limit myself to just that genre, for I enjoy and listen to so much more, that is just what I tend to listen to when I am listening to music on the radio. Every so often The End does play a song that I find catchy, for instance right now they play a song called "Tear Drops on My Guitar" by a beautiful young woman named Taylor Swift. You may have heard it, it is a catchy song. I like it. As I have listened to it I picked up on the steal guitar in the background and the country style tempo. I also found that Taylor is a country singer, this lead me to go to the iTunes store and look up the genre for this song where I found that it is indeed labeled as a country song. So to pose the question, How does a hip hop/ rock station have a country song in its top 25 list? In fact it is number 17 on the list this week. I suppose the real question might be How much does genre really matter? The question is frequently posed 'what kind of music do you listen to?' to which the response would be some genre or another. I know a lot of people who say they don't like country, many of whom would probably enjoy "Tear Drops on My Guitar." So do they really not like country music? Can you really say, I only like this genre and am not going to listen to any other because I don't like them? How much does genre really matter? I listen to what sounds good to me. If it doesn't sound good to me I don't listen to it. A genre is not going to keep me from or hold me to listening to a specific type of music. I say liberate your mind, free yourself from categorized thinking, listen to other types of music. You might find something you like.

1 comment:

  1. The term is cross over and it is about making money by appealing to broader markets and more people (Not that this is bad).

    p.s. Welcome to the blogosphere

    ReplyDelete