Sunday, December 30, 2007

millions of people

Notice: This Post is kinda boring.
I went to a wedding reception the other day and it seems that every time I attend such an event I ask myself “how many people do you know?” Have you ever wondered how many people you know? A wedding is one of the most important life changing events that anyone will ever experience and is something an individual should wish to share with everyone he or she knows, so it is logical to me that this question would present itself as I attend the reception of a friend. So how many people do I know? If we start with childhood the question might actually be better stated, how many people know me? This could very easily get out of hand because we would start delving in to who my parents or my brothers may know. Assuming by ‘know’ I mean those I may recognize in a crowd and know at least a first or last name I will assert the following of my childhood associations: 150 from church and meeting people my family knows, 30 from elementary school, and 10 from middle school. From here we move to High School were I know many teachers as well as classmates. I am going to venture to say 120 as I think about both upper and lower classmen. Moving forward we come to work ventures and to my mission. For work there is Camp Royaneh and RPM. At camp I worked with about 110 staff of which I probably know half of so we will say 55 and RPM is a little harder to guess. I have worked there for about 3 years and people came and went so if I know half of those that work there now and all of the original employees and the families of several, adding in a few for those that came and went I will venture to say 120 easy but I am sure more. On my mission I met so many people, not all of whom I know. I will break it down as follows. I served in 6 wards each ward having about 120 people each, of which I probably know about 80 of. So that is 240 not counting the missionaries I served with which I will guess was about 100 across the two years. Add it all together and we get about 850 people. I forgot relatives and friends so I am going to add 150 to that. That makes 1000 people I know, minimum. That is a lot of people, or is it? The brain is a powerful tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment