Monday, December 24, 2007

luke 2

I love the story of the shepherds. Of all the events surrounding the wonderful birth of our Savior that of the shepherds strikes my mind the strongest. Perhaps it is the meekness or reverence surrounding that scene? I am not for certain. As I pondered on this humble event recorded in the Gospel of Luke I had a thought concerning its origin. Luke was no first hand witness to the events of the Jesus Christ that we have knowledge of. For certain he did not witness his birth, yet he gives us a wonderful narration of this miraculous event. Unique to his gospel among other things are the:
visits of Gabriel to Zacharias and Mary (Luke 1),
visit of the shepherds (Luke 2: 8-18), and
Jesus at the temple at age 12 (Luke 2: 41-52),
all having to do with the early years of his life. Where did he find the details of these events? I view Luke as somewhat of a journalist searching for facts from eyewitnesses. The details of the shepherds though I imagine took a little more searching a inquiring than that of the others. I see in my minds eye a young Luke speaking with a now aged Mary and Joseph, pen in hand, asking Mary of her son and his birth and up bringing. I see Joseph recounting the travels to Nazareth, of the crowds of people, of the search for shelter, and of the star. I see Mary speaking of joy of her love and care for her beautiful baby boy. I see her relating to Luke the visitation of the shepherds and their visiting with her, telling her of the angels and sweet music they had witnessed. After this visit I see Luke, with passion, spending weeks and months in search of some small shepherd boy who was there on that starry night, now grown, a sage sheep herder teaching his boy the love and care of his craft. To sit down with that shepherd and have him recount that holy night of his youth, what a wonderful experience. I do not know how it all took place but my love and appreciation for Luke grows deeper this Christmas as I read the story of my Saviors birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment