Tuesday, September 16, 2008

no shoes, no shirt, no cameras

When did it become "against the rules" to take pictures in a grocery store? Darren envited me along to go grocery shopping with he and his wife as this evening is my last night before going in to the army. Mother advised against us taking his Nerf guns into the store so instead we I took the camera and figured I would document our adventure. I like photograph and might even say I have an eye for unique and artistic shots. Grocery stores have many possibilities for artistry in my digital stills. I was going around taking a bunch of pictures of random things and as usual being a little rambunctious with my brother at 9:30 at night in a grocery store. As I was throwing this roll of Bounty paper towels at my bro and taking a picture of it this lady cleaning the deli counter said I wasn't aloud to talk pictures in the store. I assumed she was upset at me for throwing the paper towel so I put the paper towel back on the shelf and Dars and I ran off to another part of the store as I continued to look for good shots. As I found them I took a picture or two. Later while in the produce section a different lady, whom I shortly found out was the store manager, told me that she could not allow me to take pictures in the store. "You are serious. I can't take pictures in the store?" I can be a little more outspoken when around my evil twin. I asked her if it was posted anywhere and asked to see documentation supporting her statement. She said that I could continue my shopping and she would return in a moment. I did so and as I had yet to see documentation I took a few more pictures (I got this great one of some bananas).

I can understand the "No shoes, No shirt..." policy, but "No cameras!" What is wrong with that? Lady Ann (my sister-in-law) was about done shopping now and after a few more moments she headed toward the checkout. I caught up to her a moment later as the teller was ringing her items through. I snapped a picture. The lady had still not returned with documentation. Moments after I took the picture the teller had a phone call- it was the manager asking him if he knew where the paper was that said I could not take pictures in the store. It was apparent from the half of the conversation that I heard. And after he hung up the phone he told me that she still could not find the paper. It was slightly amusing. I am a horrible person but now she will be better prepared for the next camera wielding victim that walks through the doors of her store. I never did see that paper and I am sure that as we left she was still looking for it. And because of that my team lost.

Before we even walked in the store the proposition was placed before us; whether it would take longer for Lady Ann to complete the shopping or for Dars and me to be kicked out of the store. It is an art to be kicked out of a store for not doing anything rash but doing just enough to be not welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment