Wednesday, April 30, 2008

life and technology

What is the life span of a laptop? My laptop is now 2 years old, it had its birthday this earlier this month and it is showing its age. They talk about dog-years and human-years but what about computer years? If I were a computer I’d be dead now! Or sitting in some antique shop or Smithsonian. I think that as far as laptops go two years is getting up there in age; desktops seem to have a little longer life expectance but maybe because they are more easily adaptable. Perhaps it is similar to the difference in life expectance between guys and gals. Anyway, the life of a computer is not so much based on how long it will last but the technology it contains (with the exception perhaps of PC’s blue screen of death). That computer from 1989 that my dad has sitting in the corner gathering dust will still turn on and play that DOS based, 5 ¼ floppy of Super Solvers but that is all it will do. Remember the days before there were mice (mouse’s)? The days of Oregon Trail in the school computer lap on brand new Apples. Weren’t those the days! There are flash drives now with more memory than the memory of that entire computer. My laptop is what is know as a “convertible,” it’s screen can fold over and I can use it as either a regular laptop or as a tablet. I am surprised that I do not see more of them than what I do around today. I think MAC has successfully taken much of their market. So, my computer is old but is still very much alive and kicking. I have had to replace the hard drive and I have dinged it up a little but it gets the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment