Thursday, November 22, 2007

thanksgiving

What a wonderful day, a day of Thanksgiving. Many may argue that we all need to be thankful everyday so why have Thanksgiving day? I would agree with them. It is important to give thanks always, both to God and to people in your life. However I do still think it important to have a day set aside for it. A special day to give thanks for all the many things to be thankful for. It is important to honor our fathers and our mothers yet we still have a special day each year to honor them. We are to worship the Lord our God always yet God has set apart a special day each week too worship him. I served a mission for my church in Tennessee and Kentucky and while there I met a man who would not celebrate holidays because he said that it was taking away from the fact that we are to do these things all the time, all year and not just once a year. I agreed with him that many people now days do not remember the other 364/365 days of the year to be thankful (for example), but that is no reason for you or I not to take advantage of this special day to be thankful for our blessings. It doesn't take away from any other day to have a specific day to devote to thanksgiving. Worshiping on the Sabbath does not take away from worship to be given on the other six days of the week, nor does it give one the excuse not to worship on those other six days. I attempted to explain this to the man I met but he was difficult to talk to and I didn't have my sabbath day example at that time so it was a challenge but I think that he began to see the point of holidays. Thanksgiving is a wonderful day to remember what we should be thankful for all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment