Monday, February 18, 2008

too perfect

Consider with me a moment perfection. I heard recently an idle remark “it is just a little too perfect.” That doesn’t sound right, too perfect! What is perfect? Perfect is absolute, it is the best, the highest point of achievement. Therefore something cannot be beyond perfection or “too” perfect. “Pinnacle of perfection!” that is a term used often in regards to perfection. So in my mind I have come to the conclusion that perfection, if plotted would resemble an inversed parabola, or perhaps more ideally, a bell curve.

As I ponder more on it, it occurs to me that there are two different forms (definitions) of perfect. There is perfect which is often associated with middle ground or balance- “not too… and not too.., but perfect,” and then there is
perfection as associated with supremacy or the best, “as good as it gets,” into which category Godly Perfection would fall. In such instances as the first, as in temperature or judgment, Graph A would appropriately depict the situation, the vertical axis representing degree of perfection, the horizontal axis would respectively be hot and cold or mercy and justice, with the extremes lying at either end.

The latter form which I will call supreme perfection is not a middle ground between two extremes as the former is. It is not a balance. It is a progression. Though supreme perfection has many different examples its best example, and the one that I wish to expound her
e, is that of Eternal progression, Divine Perfection. It took me a few days to think of what this graph may look like but I think I now have it. As already mentioned Divine Perfection is not a balance between good and evil, nor is it a balance between body and spirit. It is not a balance of anything. It is a pinnacle. It is the lofty height of humanity to which we each fix our gaze and our path. It is the greatest of greats. I imagine its graph to look much like that of Graph B, the square root function. Part of why I thought of this particular graph is my feeling that the closer something approaches supreme perfection it requires more effort to reach it so the curve will flatten out drastically. So in this instance the horizontal, or y-axis is effort, as the vertical remains degree of perfection. This is actually a watered down version of my entire thoughts on this form of perfection but that is not really the topic of this post. It is a topic for another day; it really does get quite better and at least makes much more sense in my mind.

In the first cast to be too perfect would be to be to the left or right of the climax and therefore no longer be perfect. In the case of the second too perfect is folly. If perfect is supreme, the height of heights, how do you go beyond it? It is a lot of thought and writing for such a conclusion but that is me I suppose. I am not the simplest individual.

All this from an idle word, or remark. Who know that such a thing can have so much sway, or can provoke so much thought in my mind. Be careful what you say around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment