Wednesday, February 6, 2008

soap

Maybe it is because I hardly ever watch TV, but it is not like I watch it a whole lot in my younger years… What happened to soap commercials? I was lathering up the other morning with a bar of Lever 2000 (for all my two thousand parts) and I thought to myself that I don’t think there are soap commercials on like there used to be. And then I thought “why would that be?” Soap is still a daily part of all hygienically stable people’s lives. There is still market for it. Are people just not interested in what kind of soap they use? Perhaps there are other things now days that people are more interested in. Clive Barnes has been quoted as saying that “television is the first truly democratic culture - the first culture available to everybody and entirely governed by what the people want. The most terrifying thing is what people do want.” TV, including commercials is what ‘the people’ want, if they don’t want it, it quickly becomes not TV. So it is not that people don’t want soap, it is just that there are “more important” things to advertise.

For someone who doesn’t really watch TV I sure have a lot to say about it.

1 comment:

  1. They still have soap commercials. Don't worry! I saw one for Dove soap a while ago. Not that you need to stress over it... Well, I would stress if soap disappeared altogether. I value it too much.

    ReplyDelete