Sunday, January 27, 2008

punctuation

I have said previously that words are materials with which we build. I wish to take that as my basis for the topic of punctuation. Punctuation seems to me to be the element that brings those sentences, those paragraphs to life. Not just that but can you imagine reading with no punctuation. I have actually done this and it is not very easy. Several of my brothers in writing letters fail to punctuate so in attempting to read meaning may get lost, or worse, misinterpreted. Every individual has his or her unique style of thinking and consequently his or her unique style of both writing and reading. The way we create sentences is derived from the way we think. Because I think up sentences different from the way that even my brother may think up sentences punctuation is the key, the cipher if you will used to comprehend that sentence. True also is the fact that a sentence can take on an entirely different meaning if punctuated differently. Now, I am by no means an English major, in fact English was one of two least favorite subjects throughout high school. However, even though I am not very schooled in the art of punctuation it seems to me a not to difficult task to punctuate my thoughts. I know I mess up but it is better to try and fail than to not have it there at all. Punctuation is the top hat on the Frosty of words. It’s the pixie dust to their happy thoughts. It does something magical to them. It transforms them. It brings them to life.

2 comments:

  1. I also feel that punctuation has an important role in communicating clearly by writing, it can also interrupt the flow of thought as you do the actual writing it is tricky to work out the balance. Today during the sacrament I focused on the punctuation in the sacrament prays so it is interesting that you bring this topic up now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love punctuation. When I write I have a few symbols that naturally come out to express the pauses and emotions in my thought

    To me, one of the most satisfying things to do to my work is to fine tune the punctuation using the more complicated rules (inasmuch as I remember them) where they are fittingly expressive, to condense the vocabulary, and experiment with the paragraph formating in order to clarify and magnify intent.

    ReplyDelete